Dark purple-red color, deep rich brambly dusky flavor. Complimentary flavors: cream, balsamic vinegar, ginger. Classic uses: ice cream and sorbets, sauces for poultry and game, dessert sauces.
Size: 30 oz [850g]
Our Marionberry Puree is made from fresh, ripe Oregon marionberries, unsweetened to let the unique fruit flavor shine.
What is a Marionberry?
The marionberry (Rubus L. subgenus Rubus) is a cultivar of blackberry, a cross between the Chehalem and Olallie blackberries. They are dark purple-red in color and somewhat tart with deep, rich brambly dusky flavor. The complex, potent flavor of the marionberry has driven its leading position among cultivated blackberries.
Many of our chef clients use Fresh & Wild Marionberry Puree to create sauces for poultry and game. It’s a perfect ingredient to add fruit flavor to barbeque sauces without adding sweetness, a great addition to marionberry pie, and a great fruit topping for cheesecake. Also use marionberry puree when fresh berries aren’t available to make marionberry jam or jelly.
Here’s more applications, courtesy of the Oregon Raspberry and Blackberry Commission:
- Serve with pancakes and waffles instead of maple syrup
- Drizzle over yogurt or oatmeal
- Add to a smoothie for super concentrated berry flavor and color
- Swirl into quick breads or brownies • Mix into lemon or limeade or use in cocktails
- Mix into pancake batter for brightly colored pancakes
- Beat into buttercream or cream cheese frostings
- Mix into a vanilla ice cream base or swirl into ice cream at the end of freezing
In the Fresh & Wild Test Kitchen, we made an adult Marionberry Milkshake – and it’s even dairy-free. Check out the pictures in the gallery.